Thursday 10 April 2008

Preparations





I might have mentioned before (it's my age) that I can't believe how quickly La Tranche gets into gear again for the season. After 4 months' quiet time, in March there was the sound of preparation in many shops and cafés. By April they're practically all open - could be that the school Spring holidays started last weekend and there are far more people around.
.
More close to home I love the 1st photo showing Pascal cleaning the swimming pool at the campsite, in readiness for their new season. I think Jean told me that it takes 3 days to fill from empty.
.
So our daughter left us to go back to work, poor thing, but now we've been invaded by our sons. We drove up to Nantes railway station on Monday to fetch Matt who had journeyed from Val Thorens to help prepare for his and Stef's first season in their bar/restaurant.
.
The 2nd and 3rd photos show Matt with a vacuum cleaner - now I know many people who won't believe these photos, but I promise they are true! Next we see Stef obliterating a very strong ochre with a more subtle shade. I must say that we have been VERY impressed with Matt & Stef's hard work in preparation for the season - opening 3rd May as there is quite a bit of paperwork to await- oh, the joys of French bureaucracy.......
.
Finally you can see the bike Matt normally uses when in La Tranche, purloined by Stef who has added a special number-plate ('plaque d'immatriculation'): Matt & Stef Paille Hot 85. Good luck to them, we hope they are a HUGE success in their venture.
.
Can't forget Peep who arrived at La Rochelle airport on yesterday. I borrowed Catherine's car (merci, Cath!) to fetch him as Tine was looking after the little ones at Cécile's. He arrived at the right airport (!) and we were soon walking along the beach checking on changes. More of Phil next time...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just realised I'm wearing a fleece, a scarf and gloves!!! Oops, what a give-away to how cold it is again! Well, some people will say I'm just 'nesh' (frileuse pour les Francais!) - unlike my cousin Catherine who has been wearing T-shirts all winter long... So let's hope the 'Paille' does get 'Hot' really soon again.
La Francaise a L.T.

Anonymous said...

Salut. Great to see how everything starts to emerge from 'hibernation'
Looking forward to seeing it all. Bon Courage a Matt et Stef.

LCA.

Anonymous said...

That Phil gets about!! He was in Bingley 5 minutes ago!!Woody

Anonymous said...

Progress looks fab; can't wait to prop the bar up in summer Matt - any discounts if I bring 9 of us at once?! :)
Back to work indeed... life sucks eh?
x