Thursday 11 July 2013

Back to Bingley

I've just got back from a great week in Yorkshire, leaving poor Tine hard at work at the camp site. I couldn't believe my luck: my visit coincided with an all-too-rare heatwave!

It was great to catch up with friends & family, and on my Bingley day I wandered up the Leeds & Liverpool canal to Five Rise Locks where I saw a horse-drawn longboat going through. I certainly never saw that in all our time in the town!

Who could fail to be impressed by the staircase of locks?


We often used to watch the activity at the locks in the evening or at weekends

All towing and braking was done by rope

Now heading for Three Rise Locks, so near to where we lived...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How lovely to see the horse pulling the longboat. Your pics remind us of our walk up the canal many years ago!! A&B xxx

Dave Franklin said...

It must bring back so many memories from your Victorian childhood chuckie egg.

Anonymous said...

Lol Dave Franklin!!! Not quite that old! Memories are of visiting Dave when he lived in Bingley. A

Anonymous said...

Hi, there is the question