Thursday 30 August 2007

BFG

Bet you're wondering what BFG means ..... well, I decided on three goals for my new life in France: Bike, Fish and Garden! Although I learned to ride a bike as a boy I have never been very confident. Vendee is as flat as East Anglia and EVERYBODY rides a bike, so last week Loulou took me to La Roche-sur-Yon to buy a brand new bike and here's the evidence. Yes, I am cheating a bit as this shot was taken on the patio at the back of the house but we have just returned from a cycle trip to the beach. Still not very confident, but once all the holidaymakers go home just watch this space!!

Many of you know I'm not a great fish lover. They're great to watch in a tank at the aquarium but on a plate is a different matter. As you can imagine living by the sea and not liking fish can cause problems so I am trying very hard. Apparently you should eat something 13 times and you will accustom yourself to the taste. I'm not quite there yet but ....

I mentioned the garden in an earlier post. We are really keen to get our garden sorted and plan on borrowing a rotavator pretty soon as the ground is very uneven and we have a lot of 'horse tail weed' which is hard to get rid of apparently. A neighbour has already advised us what to do (NO, not go back to England!) Steve S doesn't believe I'll garden but the proof will be here soon!

Back to the plot: K& P have had a lovely week so far, lots of sunshine and opportunities to swim in the sea. We took them to the 'wavy' beach and it was as flat as a pancake, and yesterday we drove up to Jard-sur-Mer as there is a picturesque pleasure port there. My siblings sampled chichi for the first time - like fat strips of doughnut - no wonder K didn't want her tea!

Later on we 'camp-sat' for cousins J&M while they took the staff out for an end-of-season meal. We watched Treasure Hunt on TV, beautifully shot in the Alps. I didn't realise the series was still running in France.

Thanks for all the emails saying you're enjoying the blog. It's a shame you have to become a Google member to comment online. Keep the emails coming!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is Nadine, but I just thought I'd let you know that you don't have to have a google account to leave a comment, you just need to click 'anonymous' at the bottom of the comments box and then stick your name in here. (Unless of course you plan on leaving threatening anonymous comments, but I think it would be best if you didn't!) K&P's appartment looks fab, I'm dead jealous and would like to still be there. Wedding is looking impossible for me, but still got fingers crossed for October. Good luck on the velo! xxx

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that, Nad, just trying it.
Bonne chance with BFG - we need regular reports.
K & P's appt deos sound good - now problem is C might want to stay there instead of camping! from
La correspondante anglaise!